PrEP is not the right fit for everyone but may be useful for men, women, and trans women who are at risk for HIV infection through sex and injecting drug use and okay with the idea of taking a daily pill to prevent HIV.
If you can answer yes to any of the questions below, then PrEP may be one HIV prevention strategy to consider.
- Do you use condoms sometimes or not at all?
- Do you get often get STIs in your butt?
- Do you often get STIs in your vagina?
- Have you taken post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) more than once in the past year?
- Are you in a serodiscordant relationship, where your sexual partner is HIV positive and you are HIV negative?
- Are you in an open relationship or having anal and/or vaginal sex with multiple partners?
- Are you having sex with someone whose HIV status you don’t know?
- Are you having sex with someone in a city or region where the HIV prevalence is high—that is, where there are large numbers of people living with HIV?