I talked to my doctor about PrEP and they won’t prescribe it to me because they don’t know what it is. What can I do?

Unfortunately, a lot of general practitioners and even some HIV specialists still don’t know about PrEP. You don’t have to talk to an HIV specialist to get PrEP. You can talk to any general health provider who is qualified to write a prescription, including doctors, nurse practitioner, physician assistants.

If your doctor simply doesn’t know what it is and is uncomfortable prescribing it, ask them for a referral to someone who might be better able to meet your needs. Some doctors are also resistant to prescribing PrEP. If they say they don’t know anyone to refer you to, ask whether it might be possible to be referred to an HIV specialist.
If they still can’t help you, there are a few things you can try.

  • If your city has a local LGBT center, they might have a list of LGBT-friendly providers that might be more knowledgeable about PrEP.
  • There may also be an AIDS service organization nearby that might be able to refer you to a provider who can help.
  • If your provider is not knowledgeable about PrEP but would like to learn more, they can consult with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for guidance on prescribing PrEP and/or also contact the National HIV/AIDS Clinicians’ Consultation Center’s Warmline for expert clinical advice (for clinical providers only).
  • My PrEP Experience has a wonderful resource monitoring insurance and Medicaid coverage of Truvada for PrEP. If you have trouble getting a prescription for Truvada as PrEP, or getting a PrEP prescription covered by insurance or Medicaid, please send an email to myprepexperience@gmail.com.